Friday, December 17, 2010

Best present

I think for me, and maybe most people, it's not the value of a present, but the thought and effort that goes into it. Last night, my daughter gave me and my family the best present I've ever received.

When I came home, Erika was so excited that I could barely understand what she was talking about. She grabbed me and pulled me over to the living room where I saw this cool, purple shelf decorated with dried flowers, ribbons and felt. She proudly explained how she had cut the wood herself and then nailed it together. She painted it and then pasted on felt shapes that made out the faces of all of our family. I couldn't believe that a 6 year old could do such great work! My first thought would have been that the teacher had done most of it, but I know that her school places a lot of value on kids being creative and doing things with very little help and guidance. Her pride also told me that she had put her heart into the project.

I'll keep our shelf as a wonderful reminder of this time in our lives and the love my daughter has for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment